Time: 1:00 p.m.
Location: Council Chamber, 3rd Floor City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street
Updated: November 24, 2023 at 4:46 p.m.
1. CALL TO ORDER AND LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
1.1 Election of Chair
1.2 Election of Vice Chair
2. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – October 26, 2023
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND
4. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
5. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
6. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
7. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
9. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
10. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
10.3.1 Bayrides: Delivery Challenges in Rural Transportation Services [PDF] – Meghan Maher
11. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
12. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
13.1.1 Active School Travel Plan [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee recommends that Halifax Regional Council direct the Chief Administrative Officer to initiate an HRM-led program to facilitate active and safer transportation for school-based trips that includes:
- Assessment of all schools in HRM by an external consultant to establish a list of schools sorted by priority where active school travel is most feasible and beneficial and that recommends safer school travel routes and priority infrastructure improvements,
- Establishing a collaborative program between the Halifax Regional Municipality, the Halifax Regional Centre for Education, and sector stakeholders/service providers to develop and deliver an Active School Travel education and promotion program, and,
- Funding to be considered as part of the 2025/26 budget process.
13.1.2 Halifax Transit Safety Program [PDF]
That the Transportation Standing Committee recommend that Halifax Regional Council direct the Chief Administrative Officer to draft a plan for a Halifax Transit Safety Program for further consideration.
- Approve the extension of Phase 2 of the Student Transit Pass Pilot Program, which includes four high schools and six junior high schools, to the end of the current school year (June 2024);
- Accept a contribution of $185,000 from the Halifax Regional Centre for Education (HRCE) towards the extension of Phase 2 of the program, and authorize the CAO to negotiate and execute a contribution agreement;
- Approve the scope of the full implementation of the Student Pass Pilot Program as further detailed in the staff report dated November 4, 2023, with such implementation including 10 additional high schools and 27 junior high schools, pending funding approval; and
- Direct the CAO to continue to pursue funding opportunities for the full expansion of the program, including Options F, G, and H in Table 1 of the staff report with such expansion being conditional on the Municipality receiving financial contributions from third parties, including other levels of government, which, at least reasonably offset the anticipated shortfall in HRM Transit Revenue associated with such expansion and authorize the CAO to negotiate and execute agreements or arrangements that may be necessary to receive such funding and fully expand the Student Transit Pass Program.
13.1.4 Proposed 2024 Meeting Schedule [PDF]
That Transportation Standing Committee approve the proposed 2024 Transportation Standing Committee meeting schedule as outlined in the staff memorandum.
14.1 Councillor Lovelace
That the Transportation Standing Committee direct the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) to provide a staff report recommending the removal of Hammonds Plains Road from By-law S-900, Respecting the Establishment of Controlled Access Streets for Streets within the Halifax Regional Municipality.
15. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE) - NONE
16. ADDED ITEMS
17. NOTICES OF MOTION
18. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – December 13, 2023
1. Memorandum from the Legislative Assistant dated November 16, 2023 re: Request to Present to the Transportation Standing Committee [PDF]
2. Memorandum from the Chief Administrative Officer dated September 22, 2023 re: Options to Address Quality of Life Concerns on Downtown Truck Routes [PDF]
For further information regarding this meeting, please contact Elizabeth Macdonald, Legislative Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-497-7548.
To submit correspondence, email email@example.com
More information: https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/regional-council/communicating-halifax-regional-council