Construction update: Phase two (Spring Garden Road to Sackville Street) – September 2020
Construction of phase one (Spring Garden Road to Inglis Street) was completed in fall 2019. Construction for phase two has been awarded to Dexter Construction. Work will begin on Monday, September 14 and is anticipated to be complete by late November/early December.
During this period, South Park Street will be closed to all vehicular traffic but access will be maintained to local businesses.
Bike lanes and all on-street parking will be temporarily removed during the work. Halifax Transit routes will not be impacted.
To view the traffic detour plan, click here.
Phase two construction will include:
- Construction of one-way protected bike lanes on each side of South Park Street within the work site.
- Installation of decorative street and walkway lighting.
- Asphalt milling and paving.
- Sidewalk renewal on the west side of the street.
- Intersection upgrades at South Park and Sackville streets, including traffic signal adjustments and the installation of tactical curbs to reduce crossing distances and improve pedestrian safety.
- Installation of streetscaping elements, such as unit pavers and bike racks.
To view a typical cross section and plan view of the upgraded street, click here.
In addition to regular public service announcements, general project construction updates will be posted to this page as required. Your patience is appreciated while this work is completed.
This project is part of Halifax's Regional Centre AAA Cycling Network aimed at making it more comfortable and convenient for you to get around Halifax by bicycle. The upgraded bicycle lanes feature physical separation between people cycling and traffic, along with new features on the street such as two-stage turn boxes.