Information for Taxi Brokers & Independent Brokers
Starting November 1, 2020, all taxi brokers, independent brokers and transportation network companies (TNCs) must be licensed to operate in HRM.
Who is a broker or independent broker?
A broker is a person or company that provides dispatch service of taxis and accessible taxis. Currently HRM has 4 brokers including Bobs Taxi, Casino Taxi, Satellite Taxi and Yellow Cab.
An independent broker is a person who is a taxi owner and driver and does not subscribe to a dispatch service that would be provided by a broker. This includes all independent taxi owners who may have one or multiple vehicles in their fleet.
How do I apply to become a broker or independent broker?
The following documents must be submitted to the Licensing Authority, through a Municipal Customer Service Centre, for approval prior to operating in HRM:
- Completed Application Form.
- If a corporation, file copies of the letters of incorporation or other incorporating documents, duly certified by the proper government official or department, together with an annual return which contains a list of all shareholders of the corporation;
- If a partnership, provide the names and addresses of each member of the partnership as well as the name under which the partnership intends to carry on business;
- The municipal address from which the applicant will be providing dispatching services;
- If an individual, a municipal address from which the applicant will be operating the business
The annual licensing fee is $300.00 and must be paid prior to being licensed as a Broker or Independent Broker.