Halifax Regional Municipality offers paid 18-month internships for new grads interested in a career in municipal public service. The program provides training and development opportunities to candidates who have graduated from a recognized post-secondary institution within the last 24 months including those who are scheduled to graduate before the internship start date.
The types of internship opportunities available range from year-to-year and they are diversified in terms of roles, responsibilities, and educational requirements. The internships we offer could be in any of our business units performing various functions such as administration, IT, policy development, business analytics, finance/accounting, community engagement, communications/marketing, program development, engineering, project management, process improvement, etc.
Candidates apply for positions based on interest, qualifications, and educational background. You do not need prior work experience and we value candidates who may possess student leadership, volunteering, extra-curricular, or community-based experience in the recruitment process.
The program is designed to provide experiential learning and maximum professional exposure to interns in their chosen field of study while exploring the benefits of working for the municipality. Candidates will learn about government policy, operations, administration, services, and planning.
Eligible applicants must successfully go through the hiring process to be appointed into an internship role. All Bridging the Gap internship opportunities will be posted on our employment website in June 2021 and the new cohort is scheduled to begin in July 2021.
Having difficulty with our online application system? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact 311 for technical support. For more information on our hiring practices, please visit our website or read our tip sheets:
Who is eligible?
Successful candidates will:
- have completed post-secondary education from a recognized or legally authorized university or community college level (includes degree, post-graduate diploma, certificate, or diploma).
- have graduated within 24 months or are confirmed to graduate in May/June 2021
- be legally entitled to work in Canada at time of application and maintain this status for the duration of 18-month term
- meet the minimum qualifications of position as listed in the job posting
- model the core values of HRM including valuing diversity.