Although a cover letter is not mandatory when applying for jobs with the municipality, it can illustrate how you meet the qualifications of the specific job you’re applying for. It also provides the hiring manager with their first impression of you.
Halifax Regional Municipality requests that applications not exceed four pages – this includes your résumé and cover letter.
Tips for cover letters
- The ideal length is one page.
- Use bold text to highlight the competition number and position you are applying for as well as your key skills and accomplishments that fit the role.
- Avoid repetitive and irrelevant information.
Tailor your cover letter to the qualifications of the job posting.
- Focus on the duties stated in the posting.
- Focus on your most recent experience and accomplishments.
Write your cover letter in your own words.
- It should sound like you and not like something out of a book.
- Avoid directly copying material from the job description and placing in your cover letter.
- Ensure there are no spelling, typing, or grammatical errors.
Sample cover letter for the municipality
123 Barrington Street, Halifax, NS | B4A 2C4
Home: 902.123.6543, Business: 902.123.6789
To Whom It May Concern,
Re: 12345BR, Administrative Assistant, Halifax Regional Municipality
I am very interested in the above-noted position that was advertised on halifax.ca. I believe this position would fully use the administrative and clerical skills that I have developed over the past 11 years supporting various levels of management across diverse office settings. I believe that my current role as an Administrative Assistant with Capital Health has prepared me for a position as an Administrative Assistant with the municipality. My experience, combined with my passion for making a difference would make me a valuable asset to the municipality
In my current role, I have developed the following skills that meet the qualifications you are looking for:
- Managing the day-to-day administrative operations within the department while ensuring the operational and administrative policies, procedures and standards are consistently applied to support the achievement of the Capital Health objectives.
- Effective organizational skills as well as the ability to prioritize workflow when faced with various conflicting priorities.
- Support the communication and distribution of new corporate initiatives. As the main point of contact for new initiatives, I respond to queries from the Health Authority staff (including Regional Directors and front line Managers) promptly and courteously.
I would be pleased to have the opportunity to attend an interview to discuss how I could contribute to the success of the Halifax Regional Municipality. I feel confident that I would be an asset in the position of Administrative Assistant. You can reach me during the day at (902) 123-6543 or in the evenings at (902) 555-6543. Thank you for your consideration.