Sidewalk Café COVID-19 Notice:
You can still submit your application for your new seasonal sidewalk café. Please refer to Seasonal Sidewalk Cafe Application for more details.
For businesses that currently have an annual sidewalk café, reference Renewal Of Annual Sidewalk Cafe for details on how to renew your annual sidewalk café.
Before you put chairs and tables outside of your restaurant or café, you need a licence to run a sidewalk café. There are two types of licences available:
- Seasonal Café Licence: commences April 15 and ends November 15 the same calendar year.
- Annual Café Licence: permits a sidewalk cafe for an encroachment term not exceeding one calendar year.
What do I need to apply for a sidewalk café licence?
You’ll need to provide the following documents when you apply for a sidewalk café licence:
- completed licence application form [PDF]
- detailed construction drawings
- site plan
- café plan
- proof of insurance
- written consent from the owner of the principle use property if other than the applicant or security deposit
- fee payment
Refer to the Sidewalk Café Brochure [PDF] and Sidewalk Café Brochure on Argyle/Grafton Street [PDF] for examples of the drawings and plans.