Recreation offers many part time or seasonal job opportunities, as well as job opportunities for youth.
Part-time jobs for the fall, winter, and spring are posted in mid-August. For example, Recreation's positions are for part-time program instructors to lead programs like mini-basketball, youth drop in nights, yoga, dance, art programs and more.
Part-time summer jobs open in February. Recreation's positions are for summer day camp leaders, summer managers, youth leadership coordinators, and specialty instructors. Most of these jobs are full time for the summer. Parks also hires seasonal student laborers each year.
Interested in part-time seasonal jobs with Recreation? View current postings.
Are you a young person ages 16-24 looking to gain job experience? Are you not in school? Not working? The Youth Live program might be a fit for you!
What do I need to apply for a part-time job with Recreation?
There are a few things to keep in mind before you apply for a summer or part-time job in recreation. You will need:
• a social insurance number (SIN)
• a bank account (because you’ll be paid by direct deposit)
If you are going to work directly with children, you will also need to have a Child Abuse Registry screening and, if applicable, a Police Records Check. Don’t worry, we’ll help you with these two if you are successfully hired.
Applying for jobs with recreation
Preparing an application
Have a resume and cover letter ready. You can either upload these from your computer or copy and paste them into the application. You can also make them up in the system as you go, but it’s better to be prepared. Never written a resume or cover letter? No problem. Human Resources offer some tips on preparing a resume and writing a cover letter.
In addition to the resume and cover letter, you will be asked for:
- Your contact information
- Education details
- Past work experience
The application process takes between 15 and 20 minutes, or a little longer if it’s the first time you used the online job system.
Finding and applying for recreation jobs in Halifax
All jobs with the Halifax Regional Municipality are posted on a special job board, so all recreation summer and part-time jobs are found there too.
See the current listings now.
If that job board website looks confusing, don’t worry; finding recreation jobs is easy:
- On the Search Openings page, scroll down through the list of job categories and then choose “Recreation & Culture” and then click “Search”
- To see the full description of a job or to apply, click on the job number
- Click “Apply to job” to start the application process. If you haven’t used this site before, you’ll have to create an account (just follow the on-screen prompts); you can log in if you’re already registered
- Upload or copy and paste your resume and cover letter, and then follow the prompts and provide the information requested
- Click “Submit” to send your application
You will receive an email confirming your application. Congratulations, you’ve applied for a job with recreation!
Note: You must apply separately for each position that you are interested in and can only apply to a position once.
Contact the Summer Employment Coordinator if you have questions at email@example.com.
How will my application be evaluated?
All appointments to positions are made based on merit and vacant positions are filled by the most qualified candidates. When recruiting, selecting, and hiring candidates, the principles of merit and fairness are maintained.
The municipal government encourages applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities, and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. You are encouraged to self-identify and will have a chance to during the application process outlined above.
General notes about jobs with Halifax Recreation:
- Some positions are filled by returning staff but all returning staff must reapply
- The number of jobs available depends on budget approval, grant funding, and how many people have registered for a particular rec program
- All applications must be submitted online on or before the closing dates