Curbside collection limits
Garbage is collected every second week (opposite week from green cart).
- limit of 6 bags (1 dark bag, remaining must be clear)
- up to 5 bags can be substituted with bundles of wood or home renovation material
- i.e. 3 bags of garbage + 3 bundles of wood
- Max weight of bundled wood is 34 kg (75 lb), not to exceed 1.2 metres or 4 ft in length
- Small pieces may be put in a clear bag (tied). No loose material in cans.
- 1 bulky item (i.e. large appliances, fridge (CFCs removed), old furniture, mattresses), not to exceed 200 kg and 8 ft in length
Apartment buildings up to 6 units
- limit of 4 bags per unit (1 dark bag, remaining must be clear)
- 2 bulky items total for the building
- no wood or renovation material permitted
Proper containers and weight limits
Any plastic bags that you use for your household waste must comply with the following rules:
- bags must be thick enough to hold the material (and not break when garbage collectors pick them up)
- they cannot be yellow, red, or transparent blue colour
- each bag has to be between 0.5–1 m long when empty
- when full, no single bag can weight more than 25 kg
- bags may be placed in a can for storage and privacy
There are rules for garbage cans, too. Metal or plastic garbage cans that you put out for collection:
- must have handles and a secure cover
- be between 46–76 cm in height
- have a diameter between 38–51 cm
- when full, cannot weight more than 34 kg
What time will my garbage be collected?
Sign up for weekly reminders and service alerts, or print a calendar customized for your address.
Collection can start as early as 7:00 a.m. but may not happen at the same time each week. You can place garbage curbside as early as 7:00 p.m. the night before. Any garbage not collected must be removed from the curb by 9:00 p.m. on the day of collection.
Some items are not allowed in the garbage
Recycling fridges and freezers
The Halifax Regional Municipality continues to monitor and respond to the rapidly evolving effects of COVID-19. To support efforts in limiting social distances, provision of residential CFC removal services has been temporarily suspended. Since refrigerators, freezers cannot be collected for metal recycling while they contain CFCs, residents are asked to hold on to those items until the program resumes.
Appliance Retirement Program
You may be eligible for free, in-home pickup and an incentive through Efficiency Nova Scotia to retire your old refrigerator, freezer, or room air conditioner. The appliance must be manufactured prior to 2001 and be in working order to qualify for the program.
Construction, demolition, and renovation debris
As part of the collective effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19, Halifax C&D Recycling will temporarily not accept cash as a payment method, effective March 18, 2020 until further notice. Debit cards, credit cards and account charges will be accepted.
The Ross Road site will be closed on Saturdays until further notice. Please visit the Goodwood location at 16 Mills Drive, Goodwood NS.
Small amounts of home renovation waste may be accepted for curbside collection. Excess debris must be taken to a licensed facility in the Halifax region. This includes material such as lumber, old roofing, gyproc, and concrete. These materials are not accepted for drop-off at the Otter Lake Waste Facility.
Halifax C & D Recycling Ltd 902-876-8644
16 Mills Drive, Goodwood
188 Ross Road, Westphal
Hours of operation
Monday to Friday: 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Check with the facility operator for fees and for changes in hours of operation on or around holidays.
Otter Lake Waste Facility
Exit 3 off Highway 103
Our highest priority is the health and safety of our customers, as well as our employees. As part of the collective effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19, Otter Lake Transfer Station will temporarily not accept cash as a payment method, effective March 18, 2020 until further notice. Debit cards, credit cards and account charges will be accepted.
Hours of operation
Monday to Friday: 6:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sunday (residential drop-off area only): 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Hours of operation on or around holidays may be adjusted. Stay up to date on the municipality's waste facility holiday hours.
The tipping fee is $10.55 (+HST) per 100 kg. For loads weighing less than 100 kg, a flat fee of $5 is charged. Rates are subject to change.
Payment accepted by cash, debit, or credit card. A deposit may be required for cash customers.
The following Household guides are in [PDF] format.
Curbside Sorting Guide - English
Curbside Sorting Guide - French
Curbside Sorting Guide - Arabic
Curbside Sorting Guide - Farsi
Curbside Sorting Guide - Simplified Chinese