When will my green cart be collected?
Sign up for weekly reminders and service alerts, or print a calendar customized for your address.
Collection can start as early as 7:00 a.m. but may not happen at the same time each week. You can place your green cart curbside as early as 7:00 p.m. the night before. Any carts not collected must be removed from the curb by 9:00 p.m. on the day of collection.
Leaf and yard material
The following items can also be placed curbside for collection:
- leaves and brush
- house and garden plant waste
- sawdust and wood shavings
Any leaves that you do not mulch or backyard compost can go in your green cart or large paper leaf and yard waste bags for collection. Up to 20 bags, 25 kg (55 lb) maximum weight each, are allowed each green cart collection day.
Branches should be tied in armload-sized bundles to a maximum of 5 bundles each collection day. No bundle can exceed 34 kg (75 lb) and no individual piece can be more than 4 feet long (1.2 m) or larger than 8 inches (0.2m) in diameter.
Grass clippings will not be collected curbside.
Natural Christmas trees will be collected on your regular green cart collection day. Remove all wires, nails, and stands. Trees cannot be in a bag.
Composting at home
Backyard composting is an easy way to return nutrients to your gardens and doesn’t require a special container to start.
Green cart delivery and repair
The municipality provides green carts and mini bins to properties that received curbside collection. Call 3-1-1 to request a bin delivery for new homes, or for repairs to a damaged cart.
Carts are assigned to the property, not the owner. If you move, the cart and mini bin must stay at the property.
To get the most out of your green bin with the least amount of hassle, consider the following tips:
- Place wet food waste in box-board, or wrap using one sheet of newspaper
- Empty your mini-bin daily and place the green cart for collection even if isn’t full.
- Fruit flies are more common during warm weather. In the kitchen, capture fruit flies with a bowl of vinegar covered with plastic wrap with several small holes in it.
- Store cart in a ventilated, shady location
When the weather is cold, ensure you are using the following tips to keep the bin from freezing:
- Line the bottom of the green cart with newspaper or box-board, like a cereal box
- Place wet food waste in box-board or wrap using one sheet of newspaper
- Put out your green cart to the curb for every collection, even if the bin is not full, as this minimizes the time the material has to freeze
The following Household guides are in [PDF] format.
Curbside Sorting Guide - English
Curbside Sorting Guide - French
Curbside Sorting Guide - Arabic
Curbside Sorting Guide - Farsi
Curbside Sorting Guide - Simplified Chinese