The following will not be tolerated on vehicles, vessels and properties owned and operated by Halifax Transit:
- Behaviour that threatens the safety of others or the safe operation of transit vehicles
- Threats or assaults
- Harassment of any kind
- Discrimination based on protected characteristics (such as age, race gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnic origin, disability or religion) under the Nova Scotia Human Rights Act.
- Loitering or soliciting
- Use of profanity
- Excessive noise or disorderly conduct.
- Consumption or distribution of alcoholic beverages or illegal substances.
- Use of tobacco, cannabis, and e-cigarettes in non-designated areas
- Carrying of firearms or dangerous materials
- Littering, vandalism, or graffiti.
- Skateboarding or bicycle riding
If you witness or experience this behaviour on Halifax Transit, notify transit staff or call 311.
Additional Rules for Ferry Operations
Halifax Transit ferries are governed by the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 and the Domestic Ferry Security Regulations. As such, the following additional rules apply when riding Halifax Transit ferries.
Reporting Unsafe or Disrespectful Behaviour
If you experience or have witnessed inappropriate, disrespectful or dangerous behaviour on a Halifax Transit vehicle or on transit property, we encourage you to:
- Notify the bus Operator or Transit staff
- Report the incident to 311
Halifax Transit Supervisors have the authority to deny service and restrict future service.
Incidents that are reported directly to Halifax Transit are investigated internally, and if warranted, may be referred to Police for further investigation and follow up.