Ice Testing Has Ended For This Season
Random ice thickness testing is done on each pond and lake in the municipality, providing general ice conditions which can vary over the ice surface. Please use extreme caution in areas where streams flow in and out of lakes.
Did you know ice thickness should be:
- 15 cm for walking or skating alone
- 20 cm for skating parties or games
- 25 cm for snowmobiles
Be safe. Avoid going out on ice at night and always check conditions before venturing out.
Many factors affect ice thickness:
- Water depth and size of body of water
- Currents, tides and other moving water
- Chemicals including salt
- Fluctuations in water levels
- Logs, rocks and docks absorbing heat from the sun
- Changing air temperature
- Shock waves from vehicles traveling on the ice