Point Pleasant Park is much loved by Halifax residents and visitors alike. Situated in the south end of the Halifax peninsula, this historic 75-hectare wooded area is a great spot for walking your dog, running, biking, or just sitting on a bench contemplating the ocean. Much of the park is wheelchair-accessible.
Park visitors can enjoy:
The park can be booked for weddings and special events.
Cycling in the Park – Please see Weekend Bike Access below.
Location and hours
Point Pleasant Park is open from 5 a.m. to 12 a.m. (midnight). This is the only park in the municipality that does not close at 10 p.m.
The Point Pleasant Park lost and found office is located at the Park Maintenance Building, 5718 Point Pleasant Drive. You can call the park office at 902.490.4700.
Parking lot hours
- Lower lot: inside gate locked at 8 p.m.
- Lower lot: outside gate locked at 10 p.m.
- Upper lot (Tower Road): no gate, no locking
Point Pleasant Park rules
All parks in the Halifax region are governed by Municipal By-Law P-600. For Point Pleasant Park, keep the following in mind:
- No open fires, including charcoal BBQs. A ceremonial fire would be allowed if you obtain a permit from Halifax Fire and Emergency.
- Camping is not allowed.
- Do not remove or damage flowers or trees.
- No vehicles permitted unless you get a pass issued by the park office (generally for events such as weddings).
- Currently there is a food truck with exclusive vending rights in the park. Anyone else selling food would be violating this agreement.
Dogs in Point Pleasant Park
The majority of Point Pleasant Park is an off-leash park, except for the following areas:
- Sailors Memorial Way: no dogs allowed after 10 a.m.
- Cambridge Drive: dogs must be on-leash at all times
- Parking lots: dogs must be on-leash at all times
Weekend Bike Access
Cyclists are permitted to ride on designated trails during Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
The rule change is a direct response to positive feedback collected from last year’s Point Pleasant Park Weekend Bike Access Pilot Program.