The Halifax Green Network Plan (HGNP) defines an interconnected open space system for the municipality, highlights ecosystem functions and benefits, and outlines strategies to manage open space. Specifically, the HGNP provides land management and community design direction to:
• maintain ecologically and culturally important land and aquatic systems;
• promote the sustainable use of natural resources and economically important open spaces; and
• identify, define and plan land suited for parks and corridors.
On August 14, 2018, Halifax Regional Council approved the HGNP and provided direction that the Plan be used as a framework for amending the Regional Plan and Secondary Planning Strategies. Council also provided direction to carry out the actions contained in the HGNP through the municipality's multi-year budgeting and business planning process.
How the Halifax Green Network Plan Was Created
The HGNP was completed in three phases of data collection, analysis and engagement, including:
Phase 1 - Completed in Winter 2016
Objective: Understand what we have, what we value and where we want to go, by way of technical study and engagement.
More than 9,000 comments and ideas were gathered from the public on important issues pertaining to the municipal open space network. Feedback was used to draft core planning and implementation directions in Phase 2, which formed the foundation of the HGNP.
- Phase 1 "What We Heard" Engagement Report
- State of the Landscape Report
- Cultural Landscapes Framework Report
- Fact Sheet: State of the Landscape Report
Phase 2 - Completed in Winter 2017
Objective: Understand landscape impacts through detailed ecological assessment, consider open space network scenarios and options and develop planning and implementation directions.
- Phase 2 "What We Heard" Engagement Report
- Draft Halifax Green Network Plan: Primer Report
- Draft Halifax Green Network Plan: Map Primer – Values Maps
Phase 3: Completed in Summer 2018
Objective: Develop detailed implementation framework and final plan.
- Phase 3 "What We Heard" Engagement Report
- Report to Community Planning & Economic Development Committee, June 21, 2018
- Halifax Green Network Plan