May 25, 2022
The Regional Plan identifies Port Wallace as a potential future growth area—a new community to be serviced with municipal services. In 2014 Regional Council initiated a comprehensive planning process for the area to design the community and determine servicing needs and the boundaries for service. This also included a community engagement process and the establishment of the Port Wallace Public Participation Committee to help guide detailed policies and regulations related to land use, layout, densities, open space and other community amenities for the area. View the Port Wallace location map (PDF).
Port Wallace was designated a “Special Planning Area” by the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing on the recommendation of the Executive Panel on Housing of the Province of Nova Scotia to address housing challenges in the Capital Region. The Special Planning Area delegates development approval authority to the Minister of Housing and Municipal Affairs as outlined in the Housing the Halifax Regional Municipality Act.
Given the area’s Special Area status, draft policies, development agreements and other documents will be shared on this page for public comment before their submission to the Executive Panel on Housing for review. The panel will provide a recommendation to the Minister who will then make a decision.
The following steps are part of this comprehensive planning process:
• Conduct a Watershed Study – Shubenacadie Sub-Watershed Study Final Report (AECOM, 2013)
• Regional Council Initiation – Council initiated on March 4, 2014, see Staff Report below
• Conduct a Land Suitability Assessment – Land Suitability Assessment (WSP, 2016)
• Conduct an Infrastructure Study – Baseline Infrastructure Assessment (CBCL, 2018)
• Develop Capital Cost Contribution charges - in progress
• Develop local planning documents (amendments to the local Municipal Planning Strategies and Land Use By-laws) - in progress
• Negotiate a development agreement(s) with the property owners/ developers – in progress
• Present finalized planning documents to the Executive Panel on Housing for their review and recommendation to the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing
Various studies have been presented to the PPC and the public as part of the process (see documents below). Another round of public consultation will take place prior to staff presenting the proposed planning documents and development agreement(s) to the Executive Panel on Housing.
Documents Submitted for Information
• Shubenacadie Sub-Watershed Study Final Report (AECOM, April 2013)
• Land Suitability Assessment Study (WSP, 2016)
• Cost of Servicing Plan (CBCL, 2009)
• Baseline Infrastructure Assessment (CBCL 2018)
- 2021: Port Wallace Secondary Planning Process, Environmental Update and Revised Work Plan
- 2019: Port Wallace Secondary Planning Process and Environmental Investigation Near Barry’s Run
- 2018: Port Wallace Environmental Investigation
- 2016: Port Wallace Secondary Plan Report
- 2014: Port Wallace Public Participation Program Report
- 2009: Cost of Servicing Study
Community Engagement and the Port Wallace Public Participation Committee (PPC)
Community engagement is an important part of the planning process. Port Wallace Public Participation Committee was established in 2014 to oversee public engagement and to make recommendations regarding the development. More detail about the committee’s role can be found in the Terms of Reference [PDF].
The committee met on an ad-hoc basis. Minutes from the committee’s meetings are posted below.
On April 22, 2022 the Province of Nova Scotia amended the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter to suspend planning advisory committees for a period of three years. As such no further meetings of the PPC will be scheduled.
Since the planning process began in 2014, two community meetings and two community workshops have taken place.
A final round of public consultation will take place prior to staff presenting the proposed planning documents being presented to the Executive Panel on Housing. Details regarding the final public consultation will be posted on this page when available.
Agendas and Minutes:
- September 8, 2014
- October 6, 2014
• Summary of RP+5 Changes, Regional Council Presentation
• Secondary Planning Strategy Example (Bedford West)
- April 19, 2016
- June 29, 2016
- September 19, 2016
- January 9, 2017
- February 27, 2017
- February 5, 2018
- April 12, 2018
- April 30, 2018
- May 17, 2018
- May 31, 2018
- June 14, 2018
- June 28, 2018
- September 27, 2018
Agenda & Meeting Notes
• Working Draft – Port Wallace Secondary Plan
• Working Draft – Port Wallace Zones (Land Use By-law)
• Working Draft – Map 1 – Port Wallace Secondary Planning Area
• Working Draft – Map 2 Port Wallace Generalized Future Land Use Map
- October 11, 2018
- November 1, 2018
- November 15, 2018
- December 12, 2018
- January 16, 2020
- December 16, 2021
Contact the planner
For more information about the Port Wallace planning process or to be added to the email notification list for this project, contact: