In anticipation of the further lifting of Public Health restrictions, the municipality is preparing to implement adjustments to the transportation network, as part of the collective effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
As the need for physical distancing will remain in place for the foreseeable future, and as transportation patterns evolve throughout the recovery phase, the municipality is identifying required adaptations to the use of its streets, sidewalks and bike lanes.
Municipal staff are actively engaged in planning temporary measures that can be deployed quickly, while also considering what will be needed over the coming months in response to Public Health directives. The implementation plan includes short, medium, and long-term actions to adapt the use of public space and municipal transportation networks.
The municipality will focus on the following key areas:
- Maintaining transportation systems to safely move all residents and goods as the city reopens
- Keeping front-line workers safe, and actively managing and supporting both operational and remote office workforces
- Accommodating delivery & pick-up needs (e.g., restaurants' new delivery models)
- Relieving crowded areas (e.g., parks and narrow sidewalks) to support health department guidance for physical distancing
- Creating clear messaging of the recovery effort as it relates to transportation
1. Expanding sidewalks on Spring Garden Road (South Park Street to Queen Street) in alignment with the proposed 2021 streetscaping project design.
2.Traffic signal timings to reduce the wait times for people to cross major streets.
- Quinpool Road
- Oxford Street
- Robie Street
- Joe Howe Drive
- Bedford Highway (Bayview Road to civic #50)
- Dunbrack Street
- Almon Street/Connaught Avenue,
- Bayers Road (Oxford Street to Windsor Street)
- Young Street
4. Create temporary loading spaces for businesses.
- Spring Garden Road at Krave
- Clyde Street near Queen Street (Garden Restaurant)
- Dresden Row near Pete's
- South Park Street at the Trillium
- Portland Street at New Scotland Yard
- Portland Street near civic #145
- Prince Street at Portland Street
- King Street near Humble Pie
- Alderney Drive near Stone Pizza