Local municipal records are a relatively untapped source for family history research. The pages linked below provide a brief description of the types of records found at the Halifax Municipal Archives that document individual lives lived in the former municipalities of:
- Town/City of Dartmouth
- City of Halifax
- County of Halifax (includes Bedford and Sackville)
Other genealogy links
If you’re just starting your genealogical research, before turning to the Municipal Archives you should check out these links that provide guidance on researching family history as well as other sources in Nova Scotia.
- Nova Scotia Archives - Full list of the provincial archive’s genealogical resources and online databases in an annotated format.
- Library & Archives Canada - Genealogy Page - Full list of Canadian genealogical web sources, databases, and other web sites, including a Nova Scotia section.
- Halifax Public Libraries, Local and Family History- Resource guide to the Halifax Public Libraries' genealogical and local history reference services, collections.
- Genealogical Association of Nova Scotia - Association to collect and preserve genealogical material. Contains family histories and resources (by surname).
- Dartmouth Heritage Museum - Museum has archives with archival reference/information request form.
- Scott Manor House - Run by the Fort Sackville Foundation, it keeps an archives with many genealogical sources for the Town of Bedford.
- GenWeb Nova Scotia - Nova Scotia section of GenWeb genealogical links.
- Census of Canada, 1911 - Searchable database of facts and figures and images of the 1911 Canadian census (searchable by geographical location).
- Halifax Directories, Collections and Archives Canada, 1880-1901 - A searchable online database of the Halifax Directory as well as directories from other cities.
- Nova Scotia Historical Vital Statistics - Historical birth, marriage and death records for the province of Nova Scotia
- Pier 21 - The East Coast’s main point of entry for immigrants, Pier 21 holds a variety of local history and genealogical materials
- Automated Genealogy - Transcribed census data for all of Canada, including the 1901 and 1911 census. Searchable by name.