In 1947, the City of Halifax was preparing to celebrate the bicentenary of the founding of Halifax in 1749. As a symbolic gift to the city, the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) arranged to have a huge Douglas Fir tree cut from the forests of British Columbia and delivered across Canada to its eastern seaport for the city's official flag pole outside of City Hall.
The 128-foot log was transported on three railway flat-cars to Saint John, New Brunswick, then by barge across the Bay of Fundy to Digby, Nova Scotia. It took 30 men, on July 2, 1947, to load it back on flat-cars for the final leg of the rail journey to Halifax.
CPR photographers captured the colossal effort to deliver the pole. Graham McBride, the son of a CPR worker, donated the following photos (CR 6-027) to Halifax Municipal Archives: