What will you find at the Municipal Archives?
At the Halifax Municipal Archives you will discover records (documents, maps, plans, photos, and audio-visual materials) from as early as the late-18th Century but primarily from 1900–2000. All relate to the history of the Halifax region, and especially the five municipal governments that were amalgamated into the Halifax Regional Municipality in 1996.
Browse the lists provided below for an overview of the records that you can search in the Municipal Archives’ database.
Lists of municipal records series
List of community records
Community records are an important complement to historical government records. Because the Municipal Archives was created in 2006, other pre-existing repositories such as the Nova Scotia Archives, the Dalhousie University Archives, and others have substantial archival collections related to the region’s history. The Municipal Archives focusses on acquiring Community Records from organizations and individuals who were active in the region.
Halifax Municipal Archives also holds published materials that were created by the municipal government or that are directly related to the region’s history, geography, governance, and services. This includes municipal government reports, community service publications, newsletters, local history publications, and brochures. These items are catalogued in the Archives Database.
Where else should you look: local archives, libraries, and museums
You may find these other local repositories have material related to the region’s history:
• MemoryNS - on-line guide to archival records in Nova Scotia
• Nova Scotia Archives - the provincial archives
• Dalhousie University Archives (records of Halifax area business, theatre, arts organizations)
• Dartmouth Heritage Museum
• Fort Sackville Foundation (Bedford records at Scott Manor House)
• Mainland South Heritage Society (Jollimore, Spryfield areas)
• Cole Harbour Heritage Farm Archives
• Hammonds Plains Historical Society
• Local History and Genealogy @ Halifax Public Libraries
• Chronicle Herald Library (searches and copies for fee)
• Parks Canada Halifax Citadel Library – 902.426.0685
• NovaMuse (database of NS museum collections)
• Pier 21 Canadian Museum of Immigration
• Regional Firefighters' Interpretation Centre
• Council of Nova Scotia Archives
• Nova Scotia Museum - includes archives, museums, galleries
• Association of Nova Scotia Museums
• Genealogical Association of Nova Scotia
• Canadian Council of Archives
• Association of Canadian Archivists