Celebrating 250 years of community use, 1763-2013
Friends of the Halifax Common hosted a three-day celebration in October 2013 to celebrate the gift of the Halifax Common “to and for the use of the inhabitants of the Town of Halifax as Commons forever,” by King George III in 1763. Below are some more recent historical images of "Common Use."
A swimming pool and wading pool were first proposed for the Halifax Common in 1938. These recreational facilities continue to delight local and visiting children, as seen in these two 1940’s photographs (HMA CR6-062.1) taken by J.W. Merriman and Harry Cochrane and transferred from the NS Sport Hall of Fame.
This Atlantic Air Survey photo (HMA 102-39-1-428) shows the state of the North Common in April 1960. The Egg Pond, a remnant of the Freshwater Brook drainage, is years from being replaced by today’s skateboard park. The Nova Scotia Community College in the lower right occupied the site that is now Citadel High School, while you can see the old Queen Elizabeth High School before expansion at the middle left of the photo.
Landscaping the North Common, ca. 1965
In the mid-1960s, the North Common underwent significant landscaping changes, presumably in preparation for the upcoming Centennial in 1967. These Engineering & Works photographs show various stages in the project, including the construction of the water fountain. More images of this project can be seen on the Municipal Archives' Flickr page.
Halifax Common history sources
Halifax Municipal Archives holds many reports, photos, maps, and plans documenting the use of—and changes made to—the Halifax Common, mostly from after 1841, when the City of Halifax was incorporated. Do a search in the Archives Database. Some highlights include:
- Listing of City of Halifax Engineering and Works Plans of the Common
- Committee on Gardens, Parks and the Commons records, 1820-1940 (102-7)
- Publications and reports about the Halifax Common